Friday, March 26, 2010

Coco Almond Milk

I've been having a lot of trouble with the coconut oil precipitating (for lack of better term!) out of the almond milk. I've been using 4 t of coconut oil per 8 cups of almond milk. I'm using 16 soy lecithin capsules (poking them open and draining into the milk) as my emulsifier. I've seen a recipe that called for using lecithin granules, so I broke down and bought some. Here's what I tried, waiting for it to get cold to see if it works:



CocoAlmond Milk

4 cups of soaked almonds (start with 3 cups dry and soak overnight in frig)
8 cups of water
2 t vanilla
4 T agave nectar
2 quick shakes of salt
1 1/2 T. lecithin granules (well actually, added 2 t. first and then another 1 1/2 t later, blended it on low for a bit til all incorporated)
2 t. coconut oil. mine was liquidy at room temp.
  1. Process the almonds.
  2. Pour some of the almond milk back into the blender (be sure to rinse the blender first to clean out remaining almond bits).
  3. Add vanilla, agave nectar, salt and lecithin granules. Blend well until granules are dissolved.
  4. Gradually add coconut oil.
After sitting in the frig for a while, the coconut oil precipitated out. Next time, I'll try 2 T of lecithin granules.

No comments:

Post a Comment